I have never used a ghd
To be honest, I never really thought I needed to. My hair is completely straight and flat, so getting it perfectly straightened was never my concern. However, I do want a bit of life into my hair and plus pretty much every girl wants that 'effortless' look of Victoria's Secret curls.
So when given the opportunity to try it out for myself, I had to take it. I was a bit hesitant as I thought it'd be crazy difficult, but after watching a few Youtube vids and being somewhat convinced that this could be achieved by the mere mortal… the challenge was accepted!
I was sent the ghd V Rose Gold Styler a limited edition version just in time for Christmas which comes with the ghd itself, 2 sectioning clips, and a case which doubles up as a heat resistant mat.
The MethodI watched a few clips to get an idea of how to DIY. But I tweaked it to suit my hair. I’ve got straight and fine hair so possibly the easiest hair to work with #gifted.
To start, I simply took small sections of my hair and twirled it...
And then with the ghd clamped and proceeded to twirl the ghd around that. So it was less pressure on me to perfectly curl it using the ghd the whole way through.
After you've twirled you're whole head of hair, it results in this...
So just use your hands to zhuzh it up, and the result is a loose wave aka the ‘natural’ look.
While I haven't been game enough to take on the Victoria's Secret curls, I'm sure with a bit of practice I'll get there.
The VerdictI was quite impressed that I was able to do my hair without the use of any styling product whatsoever (#talent) and it managed to hold the style for about 8 hours although this did involve clamping down for awhile, redoing bits I didn't get quite right and decent weather. Of course after awhile it does lose a bit of bounce, but with my el cheapo curling wand, it would go flat pretty quickly and I would wonder why I even bothered!
- Ridiculously easy to use
- It’s so pretty, the rose gold makes this look even more premium.
- It will automatically turn off after 30 minutes.
- I love the heat resistant mat that also geniusly combines it as a case which can hold the ghd & the styling clips as well which makes it perfect for travel!
- It only costs $1 more than the ghd V Gold Classic styler but gives you more bang for your buck as this limited edition version also has the heat resistant mat/bag & the sectioning clips.
- The price of $270 is a bit steep BUT it's in line with the pricing for the ghd brand.
- The on/off button is on the inside
- The notification that it’s on is on the inside of the wand,it would be quite easy to forget that it's even on!
- In terms of heat – there is only one setting. I’d like the ability to control the level of heat.
What: ghd V Rose Gold Styler (Christmas Edition 2014)
Contains: ghd styler, 2 sectioning clips, protective plate guard
Where: Adore Beauty, ASOS, RY,
You can find out more information from the Official ghd website here.
This product was provided for the purpose of a review.